Warner School of Education at the University of Rochester logo in the print header
Page link printed 04/26/2018

students in front of rush rhees

Admissions FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Do I need to be admitted to begin taking classes?
A. No. You can begin taking classes in any semester without first applying to the school. We call this status “non matriculated.” You may wish to take a class before applying to “get your feet wet” in a program, or to get a jump-start on your program while you assemble your application. Additionally, there are students who take a course or two of particular interest to them who do not intend to pursue a degree at all. If you are planning to apply to a program, we recommend that you take no more than three classes prior to admission. If you are interested in a degree program, you should talk to admissions or a faculty member.

Q. How do I register for classes as a non-matriculated student?
A. Contact our Registrar’s Office to receive registration materials, or print them from the Student Services area of the Warner School web site. Additional questions can be addressed by calling the admissions office at 585-275-3950 or by emailing admissions@warner.rochester.edu.

Q. Do I need to take the GRE exam to apply to a Warner School program?
A. It depends. For many of our programs, we do not require entrance examinations as part of the application to the Warner School, with the exception of the TOEFL or IELTS exam for applicants whose first language is not English. If you have taken the GRE already and wish to submit your score, we will be happy to evaluate it as part of your application. Teacher education and K12 educational leadership candidates seeking NYS certification are now required by NYS to submit scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), Miller's Analogy Test (MAT) or a substantially equivalent admission assessment, effective July 1, 2016. See full announcement to understand what is now required and how that impacts students starting in Summer and Fall 2016 and beyond.

Q. What is the University of Rochester institution code for reporting the GRE or TOEFL?
A. The University of Rochester’s Institution code is 7614. The subcode for the GRE is 2928 (curriculum and instruction).

Q. Can I apply at any time?
A. Although we can accept your application at any time, we review applications four times a year: January 15, March 15, June 15, and October 15. NOTE: Applications to PhD programs are only reviewed at the January 15 deadline.

Q. How long does it take to receive notification of an admission decision?
A. Applicants will be notified of a decision 6-8 weeks after the application deadline.

Q. Does the University of Rochester have graduate housing?
A. Yes. Graduate housing is offered by the University, not by the Warner School. Information is available on their web site at https://www.rochester.edu/reslife/graduate/index.html.

Q. Can I defer my admission?
A. Yes, you can defer your admission for up to one year from your original intended start term; however, the admission deposit is required in order to process the deferral request. Deferring admission may mean forfeiting financial assistance originally awarded by the Warner School.

Q. Are admissions interviews required?
A. Admissions interviews are by invitation only. You will be contacted by the admissions office if an interview is requested.

Q. What kind of writing sample is required?
A. Your writing sample should be a paper that you have written that best displays your ability to write at an academic level. Your paper should include citations and use the same style consistently (APA or MLA for example).

Q. What does the Warner School look for in its applicants?
A. Specific criteria for admission include:
  1. Applicants must have received a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution or equivalent by the time they enter the program at Warner, with the exception of those applying to early admission programs.
  2. Applicants must have the ability to do graduate work at the University of Rochester, as demonstrated by their past academic performance and their academic writing skills.
  3. Applicants must demonstrate sufficient communication and interpersonal skills to perform well in their chosen career in education.
  4. Applicants’ career goals, professional interests, academic background, attitudes and philosophy must be consistent with the programs offered by the Warner School and its stated mission.
  5. Additional criteria may be established for individual programs.
Q. What is the Warner School tuition?
A. Tuition for 2015-2016 is $1340 per credit hour.

Q. Does the Warner School offer financial aid or scholarships?
A. Yes, the Warner School offers scholarships on a merit basis. Competitive assistantships may be awarded to doctoral applicants.

Q. Should I complete the admissions process before I apply for financial aid?
A. You can complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at any time.

Q. Are there grants available?
A. The Warner School offers merit-based scholarships to well qualified master’s and certification applicants, and assistantships to doctoral applicants. Rochester-area preK-12 educators are eligible for the Warner School’s Greater Rochester Area Educators Grants. See tuition and financial aid for more information on this opportunity.

Q. How large are the classes at Warner?
A. Classes are intentionally kept small to facilitate learning and discussion. Most classes are capped at 25, although on rare occasions some classes may be larger.

Q. When are courses offered?
A. Courses are offered in the late afternoon and into the evening. Most courses begin at either 4:45 p.m. or 7:35 p.m. Some courses may vary from this schedule. Summer B classes are sometimes offered during the day.

Q. Who do I contact if I have a question?
A. Contact the admissions office at 585-275-3950 or e-mail admissions@warner.rochester.edu.

Q. How many credits can I transfer?
A. For master’s programs, you can transfer up to nine graduate-level credits from another institution as long as those credits have not already been counted toward another degree. For doctoral programs, you can transfer up to 36 credits into an EdD program, and up to 30 credits into a PhD program.