Warner School of Education at the University of Rochester logo in the print header
Page link printed 07/17/2018

In addtion to the policies below, please see the Regulations and University Policies Concerning Graduate Studies.


Academic honesty is considered a central responsibility of all students at the University of Rochester, and cases of academic dishonesty will be dealt with seriously. You may read the entire policy online on page 36 of the Regulations and University Policies Concerning Graduate Studies (formerly referred to as “The Red Book”), but here are a few specifics regarding academic honesty:

  • You must be careful to guard against plagiarism. Plagiarism can involve:
    • Using, whether deliberately or unintentionally, an idea or quotation from another source without providing citation of that source. Anything that was not your original idea must be acknowledged in your footnotes or in your paper.
    • Using another student’s work, even if not a whole paper, and submitting it as your own.
  • You should speak with your instructor before drawing heavily even from a paper you yourself wrote for another class; if you use the same paper for more than one class without permission to do so, this could be considered academic dishonesty.
  • Obtaining an exam or other similar confidential information and either using it yourself or sharing it with others ~or~ using unauthorized notes during a test would constitute academic dishonesty.
  • Should you falsify data or results to help yourself or someone else, this would be considered academic dishonesty.
  • A more obscure form of academic dishonesty the University notes relates to the misuse of resource materials: “Any act that maliciously hinders the use of or access to library materials is academically dishonest and falls under the terms of this policy.” (see online Policy on page 36 of Regulations and University Policies Concerning Graduate Studies) Tearing pages from a journal or book, removing books from the library without checking them out, failing to return reserve readings, etc. could all be considered academically dishonest.

CONTINUOUS ENROLLMENT POLICY (relevant to matriculated degree candidates)

The University of Rochester and its graduate schools enforce a Continuous Enrollment Policy which requires that all students enrolled in a degree-bearing program be registered each fall and spring until they graduate (this policy does not mandate that you register during the summer term). Here are the details, in brief:

  • You must complete a minimum total of nine (9) credit hours in each summer/fall/spring rotation—in that order). If you matriculated in the fall term, your first year will be prorated, so you will be required to complete only six (6) hours; if you matriculated in the spring, three (3) credit hours will be adequate.
  • If you are at the end of your program and no longer have nine credit hours to complete, you may register for one of the following each fall and spring until you complete your degree:
    • ED 898~Master’s Thesis: Half-Time1,3
    • ED 899~Master’s Thesis1,2,3
    • ED 998~Doctoral Dissertation: Half-Time1,4
    • ED 999~Doctoral Dissertation1,2,4
    • ED 895~Continuation of Master’s Enrollment5
    • ED 995~Continuation of Doctoral Enrollment5
      1. these registrations can also be combined with research hours or other courses to bring you up to either half-time or full-time enrollment, allowing you to take out and/or defer student loans; in these instances, there is no charge for 898/899 or 998/999.
      2. these registrations require that you pay the Mandatory Health Fee charged all full-time students; you will also be required to either enroll in the UR Student Health Insurance or provide proof of equivalent private insurance.
      3. these registrations can be used twice before you graduate.
      4. these registrations can be used four times before you graduate.
      5. these registrations can be used an unlimited number of times before you graduate.
  • Be aware that even if you are finished with all your coursework and need no more hours, you must still be continuously enrolled each fall and spring until you graduate.
  • If you are unsure which of the above options to choose and which might be the least expensive option for you in your situation, you may contact the Warner School Registrar for assistance.
  • Audits and 0-hour Dissertation Seminars do not meet requirements for Continuous Enrollment.


See “Registration”/”Deadline for Registering”/”Late Registration”  for Late Registration policies.


A student may initiate an appeal within six weeks following the recording of a grade by the Warner registrar. The student begins the appeal process by writing to the instructor, Program Chair, and the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies the specific and substantial reasons for the appeal. The instructor has the option of resolving the appeal with the student, or advising the student to continue the appeal. The instructor is required to justify his or her decision in writing to the student, Program Chair, and Associate Dean of Graduate Studies.

If the student chooses to pursue his or her appeal, the documents prepared for the instructor, along with any new information (in writing), is forwarded by the student to the Program Chair and Associate Dean of Graduate Studies. The Program Chair has the option of resolving the appeal in consultation with the instructor and student.

If this process is not satisfactory from the student’s perspective, the student updates any documentation with new information, including the instructor’s justification and the Program Chair’s evaluation and recommendation, and forwards all information to the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies. The Associate Dean of Graduate Studies has the option of making an administrative decision or continuing the investigation of the case. The Associate Dean of Graduate Studies may make the decision to change the student’s grade at this point. (Note: This is a rare occurrence.) If the Associate Dean decides to change the student’s grade, the instructor in the course must be consulted before the formal grade change is made. If Associate Dean determines further investigation is necessary, he or she will call all parties together, individually or as a group (at the discretion of the Associate Dean).

If the student is not satisfied with the Associate Dean’s decision, he or she has the option of continuing the appeal, by forwarding all relevant materials collected thus far to the Dean of the Warner School. For master’s and Ed.D. students the appeal process ends with the Dean of the Warner School’s decision.

The appeal can continue for Ph.D. students. If a Ph.D. student is not satisfied with the Dean of the Warner School’s decision, he or she may forward the appeal to the Dean of Graduate Studies of the University of Rochester. The outcome of this process may be an upward grade change or no change; the student cannot be awarded a lower grade than that initially given by the instructor. Students who appeal a grade that has led to their involuntary withdrawal from the Warner School cannot register for or attend classes until the appeal process concludes.


A student who withdraws voluntarily from the Warner School is eligible for rematriculation if the request for matriculation is made within two calendar years of the date of withdrawal. A written request for rematriculation must be forwarded to the Associate Dean. The request will be reviewed by the Program Area in which the student was formerly matriculated. With the approval of the Program Chair and the Associate Dean, the student requesting rematriculation will be eligible to register for courses. The rematriculated student must meet with an advisor (assigned by the Program Chair) and formulate a new program of study. A rematriculated student may lose credit towards the degree program, even if he\she is continuing with the same degree program from which they withdrew.
Students who have withdrawn voluntarily and seek to continue a degree program in the Warner School must reapply to the Warner School if more than two years have passed since the date of voluntary withdrawal.

Students who have been withdrawn involuntarily (i.e., dropped) from a degree program in the Warner School will not be readmitted to any degree program in the Warner School, nor can they reapply to the Warner School.