- Science STARS Film Wins Philip Seymour Hoffman Award at Roc Teen Film Festival
In August, East High School girls participating in the Warner School’s Science STARS afterschool program this past year received an award for their film You Are Not Alone, as they were among the top 11 finalists in the 2014 Rochester Teen Film Festival held at The Little Theatre in Rochester.
- Summer Camp Inspires Creativity Among Young Writers
Local students entering sixth through twelfth grades will have a place to explore different kinds of writing in an open and creative setting, free of academic pressure, and grow as writers this summer at the Young Writers Camp, running Aug. 4 to 8 on the University of Rochester’s River Campus. New this year, the summer camp will extend beyond the middle school years to serve high school students.
- Sharing the Experience of School Reforms Overseas
David Hursh, professor of teaching and curriculum at the Warner School, spoke in New Zealand about the American educational system, and how state policies have impacted teachers and children.
- Professor Mary Jane Curry Co-edits, Professor Jeffrey Choppin Contributes to New Book Exploring the Role of Applied Linguistics in STEM Education
Mary Jane Curry, associate professor at the Warner School, and David Hanauer, professor of English at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, have compiled a collection of studies and projects from researchers and professionals in the fields of language studies and science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education.
- Future Science Teachers Guide City Students in Conducting Water Quality Study at Summer Science Camp
Graduate students who are studying to become science teachers at the Warner School will lead the 2014 Get Real! Science Camp. The program, which runs July 28 through August 4, will provide 30 local middle school students with the opportunity to conduct a water quality study incorporating Lake Ontario and the Genesee River as well as engage in real scientific questions about water quality and usage and what makes water clean.