(as of 02/01/2015)
This program leads to the following NYS Certifications:
Teaching students w/disabilities in Adolescence Education (grades 7-12), specialist in Italian (initial + professional)
Teaching students w/disabilities (grades 7-12), subject extension in ItalianCourse requirements
This program includes a total of 12-29 credits of which 5 are field experiences. When you meet with your advisor, you will complete a detailed DI6 Program of Study Form.Specialization CoursesEDU442
Race, Class, Gender, and Disability in American Education ED447
Disability and Schools EDU435
Theory and Practice in Teaching and Learning Foreign Languages and ESOL (English to Speakers of Other Languages) EDU463
Implementing Innovation in Foreign Languages and ESOL Education ED405
Assessment in Instructional Contexts ED451
Teaching and Learning in Inclusive Classrooms ED452A
Instructional Strategies for Inclusive Classrooms A ED452B
Instructional Strategies for Inclusive Classrooms B ED452C
Instructional Strategies for Inclusive Classrooms C ED446
Collaborative Teaching Partnerships in Inclusive Classrooms InternshipsEDF417F
Field Experiences in Inclusive Secondary School Settings(Foreign Languages + Latin) EDF446
Inclusion Adolescence Student Teaching Seminar A EDF419F
Student Teaching in Inclusive Secondary School Settings A (Foreign Languages&Latin) EDF447
Inclusion Adolescence Student Teaching Seminar B Notes:
1. Any of the courses and internships listed above may be waived if an equivalent course/internship was already taken in a prior program (with advisor, chair, and Associate Dean's approval).
2. If you need to complete the internships, the inclusion courses need to be taken in the following order:
needs to be taken after ED447
and prior to any internship.
need to be taken in the fall semester while conducting your field experiences.
need to be taken in the spring semester while conducting your student teaching.
needs to be taken in Summer A immediately following your student teaching.
•All remaining courses can be taken at any time in your program.Other Requirements:
In addition to the coursework indicated above, in order to graduate and to receive the certification(s)/licensure (if any) you are seeking this program has additional requirements. Please note that in some cases, while our program will provide you with all the academic experiences required for the certification you seek, there may be some additional requirements that you will have to complete independently and outside of our program in order to be granted that certification/licensure (ex: completing a certain number of years of mentored experiences). When that is the case, we have listed these requirements but also indicated that they are not a graduation requirement.
- MS degree
- Initial Teaching Certification in Adolescence (grades 7-12) as specialist in Italian
- Inclusion Portfolio
- Dignity for All Students (DASA) Training in Harassment, Bullying, Cyberbullying, & Discrimination Prevention and Intervention
- NYS Exam - Content Specialty Test (CST) for each area of specialization sought
- Initiate NY State Teacher certification process with the Warner School Certification Officer
- Inclusion Content Prerequisite (at least 6 credits each in ELA, math, science, and social studies) (attach a completed Admissions Transcript Review Form or fill in the table below)
- 3 Years of Teaching Experience with the First One Conducted in a Mentored Situation (NOT a graduation requirement but needed before applying for professional certification)